Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
No one likes to arrive back home after a long day at work to discover that a broken water pipe has caused water to leak everywhere in your home causing damage to your floors, walls and ceilings. First, you want to ensure the safety of you and your family by entering with caution to make sure that all electrical hazards and potential slip hazards are handled right away. Dealing with a water leak can be an extremely stressful situation to discover but with the help of SERVPRO of Newton/ Yardley, we try to take the stress away. Give us a call day or night, and we'll arrive to begin the drying process.
In the meantime, you can follow the water damage tips below while you are are waiting for the team to arrive.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (215) 579-4423
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.