If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (215) 579-4423

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Control the Moisture, Control the Mold

2/26/2018 (Permalink)

Did you know that mold spores exist almost everywhere?

It’s true – but most buildings will have a low enough presence that it has little to no impact on a healthy individual. Problems do occur, however, when mold is given the perfect environment in which to grow and thrive. It is important to be aware of what these conditions are so you can take the appropriate measures to prevent them.


Mold needs the following conditions to grow:

• Presence of spores
• A food source (i.e. paper, wood, dirt, drywall)
• Low light
• Warm temperatures
• Oxygen
• High levels of humidity or moisture for 24 to 48 hours

Overall, moisture has been shown to be the biggest contributing factor to mold growth. The key to preventing this growth is controlling this element within your building. Areas such as kitchens, basements, bathrooms, and cleaning closets may be especially susceptible to humidity or moisture that may lead to mold growth.

Moisture Problems

What are some causes of moisture that you should be aware of? General humidity levels, leaking pipes, condensation, poor ventilation, flooding, damp basements and leaking roofs are all causes of moisture that could lead to mold.

The most obvious cause of a mold-friendly environment in your commercial building would be a water leak of some sort. The culprit might be a broken pipe, a damaged roof or the aftermath of a flood, among other things. If your business has experienced any of these problems, it is important to fix the issue and dry the area as quickly as possible. Mold growth can occur within 24 to 48 hours of a water issue, so the longer water damage persists, the costlier the remediation will be.

If you suspect you have a mold problem due to its visual presence or a persistent musty smell, you may want to call in a mold specialist in Newtown, PA, to assess the damage. Leaving mold to its own devices can cause extensive damage and lead to issues no business owner wants to deal with.

Other News

View Recent Posts