Preventing and Remediating Water Damage
Give SERVPRO a call if you experience water damage.
No question about it, water damage is a headache every homeowner in Newtown, PA would prefer to avoid. There are many things you can do to avoid the unwelcome experience of water in a home and ways to remediate it before calling in the professionals.
Routine Inspection, Regular Maintenance
Water infiltration is a far from uncommon problem, and though there can be a few surprises, such as a suddenly broken pipe, there is a short list of the most common culprits.
• Home appliances with hoses and connections that can fail require frequent checkups. Dishwashers, refrigerators that make ice or dispense water, water heaters and washing machines all have a connection to a water supply. Inspect the hoses for kinks or breaks and plan to replace them every three to five years to head off problems.
• Plumbing fixtures in sinks, tubs, toilets and showers should be inspected for corrosion, condensation or signs of leakage such as rust stains or warping of adjacent walls, ceilings and floors. Listen to the toilet; if it fills continually or when it hasn’t been flushed, there is likely a problem with the fill valve or flapper.
• Component failures in a home’s HVAC system can produce unwanted water in a home. Since some furnaces and central humidifiers can develop leaks, cracks or trickles, it is important to look them over on a regular basis. Dripping from an air conditioning unit is a sign of improper drainage or a leak.
Repair What You Can, Replace What You Must
Tackling repairs caused by water in a home is a job that is best not to postpone. Mold and mildew, warping and other collateral problems can develop quickly. Ascertain what can be remedied with a simple repair such as a loose connection and rejoice that the problem was not a more serious pipe cleanup. Replace obviously compromised or aging parts and any construction materials they have damaged.
Anticipating problems and heading them off is a victory for homeowners. Scheduling a few minutes of regular investigation is a welcome trade-off for hours of time-consuming restoration. Visit http://www.SERVPROnewtownyardleypa.com for more information on water damage.
Eliminate Smoke Odor After Fire Damage
When eliminating malodors on fire jobs, remember that there are several factors that can impact the strength of the odor:
- Size - The bigger the fire, the more objects have burned, and thus there’s been more smoke.
- Length -The longer a structure has been exposed to smoke, the more deeply odor has seeped into porous materials.
- Space - When a fire occurs in a smaller room, the smoke odor becomes more intense and concentrated.
- Stuff - Not all odors are equal. For instance, burning wood, plastic and protein all have very different smells and consistency. This may influence the types of odor eliminators you use.
WHERE the damage occurred and WHAT burned will always be your two main concerns in fire restoration. Knowing the full answers to those questions will likely ensure that your restoration efforts will be complete and that you’ll be able to eliminate all of those irritating malodors, while at the same time eliminating any call backs.
Calling a Professional for Mold Remediation
Mildew is not a sure sign of mold, but it’s a sign that it might be able to grow. There is a common misconception that mold cannot occur anywhere but bathrooms and basements, and it’s wise to realize this is not true. Mold can grow anywhere, and it’s professional mold removal and remediation that helps. Mitigation cannot wait when mold becomes a problem.
Black Mold Mitigation
When mold is a problem in your home, mitigation is the answer. This is the only way to ensure mold is removed completely from the home or office. Professionals come in using specialized equipment to locate mold, problem areas, and to stop growth. Mold doesn’t just happen overnight without water damage and high humidity, which is why anytime there is a leak or flood there is a higher level of danger for mold formation.
Calling a professional allows you to rest in assurance there is an end in sight. Professional removal means you have the option to prevent mold in the future, which is what many homeowners and business owners consider a good deal. Paying a professional now means keeping mold removal costs down in the future, because mold that comes back when you attempt to do it yourself is a much larger problem than you might imagine. Visit http://www.SERVPROnewtownyardleypa.com for more information on mold removal and remediation.
What Is a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile?
Give SERVPRO a call if you experience commercial water damage.
An emergency profile is a plan of action that helps minimize interruption of business operations after a disaster. Developing the emergency strategy can be as simple as contacting someone familiar with crises scenarios that is willing to help your company identify potential ways disasters can impact your business. The plan can help your employees know what to expect after the emergency and establish a program to mitigate potential problems. The ERP can also strategize ways to diminish business disruptions by having you complete a comprehensive set of documents and plans that can help prepare your business for the unknown. These documents can include the following:
1. Establish a profile of critical information your company may need after an emergency. Necessary data may include emergency profile and contact information, utility shut-off numbers, and a list of emergency management agencies. Using the ERP app can save you time in organizing the data.
2. Generate a detailed list of emergency solutions. Quick references about who, what, where, and how may provide solutions to potential disasters in advance of the emergency. The plan can include employee escape routes and a map of the building.
3. Organize an incident response plan that can address problems when an emergency occurs. Time-sensitive information and crucial resources can be identified to help prevent a long business disruption period.
4. Create a business continuity plan to provide an emergency response that can limit business disruption. This guide can often aid in getting the building open after a disaster by identifying critical customers and vendors.
5. Establish SERVPRO as an emergency disaster provider. By having a previously determined mitigation and restoration team in case of potential disasters, a plan of action can already be determined, and work can quickly begin in diminishing damages.
SERVPRO has trained representatives in Newtown, PA willing to help you create an emergency profile that fits your company needs. By being prepared for possible emergencies, you can speed your company’s disaster recovery and give yourself peace of mind. Visit http://www.SERVPROnewtownyardleypa.com for more information on commercial water damage.
Key Facets of Business Interruption Insurance
As a business leader, you have tremendous responsibility to lead your organization. This not only includes building strong relationships with customers and ensuring they’re satisfied with your service, but it also requires a talented staff to produce the results you need. You strive for profitability and growth, but what happens if a natural disaster or other major incident causes a rebuild of your facilities? Fortunately, business interruption insurance can come to your rescue.
How Does It Work?
Unlike property insurance, which can cover your expenses to make repairs to your facility due to an accident or mishap, this type of coverage can help ensure you don’t lose money when you have a closed business because of unsafe conditions at work or it’s impossible to carry on your business affairs for a time for any reason. There are a few ways that this insurance works for you:
• Compensates you for income you lose because you must leave your facility
• Covers you for revenue you would have earned had the disaster not occurred at your Newtown, PA office
• Pays for other expenses such as utilities while you are out of the office
Flexible To Meet Your Needs
Business interruption insurance can be essential for your company while you rebuild your office space. It’s important to make sure you work closely with your insurance company and select the coverage you need. You don’t want to choose too little and miss out on the necessary compensation. Luckily, the best agencies should be able to fit your organization with an ideal plan.
Some businesses have greater risk of problems than others due to fires or other disasters. If you work in a field that is more prone to incidents such as these, you may expect higher premiums. Also, if you cannot reasonably conduct business outside of your facility, you may have higher costs.
You should discuss this type of insurance coverage with a seasoned professional. You can have greater peace of mind during a rebuild with this plan in place at your business. Visit http://www.SERVPROnewtownyardleypa.com for more information on storm damage.
Easy Tips for Handling a Flood at Home
Flood damage affects millions of families and homes every single year.
Even if you don't live in a flood zone, there are still ways for your house to be overcome by water damage. This could be from a leaking or burst pipe or an appliance that has gone haywire. Whatever is causing the flood, it's essential to know how to handle the damage before it becomes out of hand. When water damage is allowed to fester, it can lead to mold growth and wood rot that costs more money to repair than the flood issue itself.
What to Do If a Flood Enters the Home
If you begin to notice a flood entering the home, your first instinct should be to prevent more water from becoming an issue. This involves drying out the area by using sump pumps and drainage systems. If your home has a drainage system outside that is supposed to wick water away from the property, make sure that it is clear and free of any debris. Water in home and water in business properties can be easily dealt with when you're using the proper drainage system, so make sure to set this up before a flood hits the area.
If you need help because you're trapped in a home with flood water, it's important to call emergency personnel who can come and rescue you from the area. It can be incredibly dangerous to be stuck in a home that has rising flood waters, so be sure to have an available line to call for help.Visit http://www.SERVPROnewtownyardleypa.com for more information on water damage.
Contacting Your Insurance Company
After the flood subsides or you fix the plumbing, your next step is to contact your insurance company. You might not even realize that your provider has flood damage restoration coverage on your policy. This can eliminate the cost of mitigation and allow you to get the flood damage water cleanup done without going into debt. The beauty about water damage insurance is that it prevents you from shelling out tens of thousands of dollars in a short period of time just to restore your home to its former glory.
The average cost of flood damage restoration is $10,000, and paying this upfront without insurance's help can be next to impossible. However, it's a necessary evil and has to be done, so it's best to pay a little each month for better coverage so that you know you're fully protected. You can contact your insurance provider to find out about what they will and will not cover in terms of professional mitigation, restoration and water cleanup repair.
Working with a Remediation Company
Working with an expert restoration mitigation company is the best way to handle water in home and water in business problems. Water damage can cause a lot more issues than you might think, and leaving the work to the professionals will save you a ton of time and ensure that water cleanup is being done properly. The experts will use all of their own drying and mitigation tools to thoroughly remediate the area of excess water.
Water cleanup and the overall drying of the home should take several days, and the company may need to come back several times to ensure that the work has been properly and no mold growth is present. You can also incorporate your own drying methods into the home by using a series of fans and dehumidifiers.
Preventing Another Flood
To prevent water in home and water in business offices, you need to make sure that you have a good blockage and drainage system. This might include a drain in front of and in back of the home to get water away from the residence as quick as possible, or it might include a barrier placed around the property to prevent water from entering. The more time and effort you put into preventing water in home and water in business properties, the better off you'll be.
Visit http://www.SERVPROnewtownyardleypa.com for more information on water damage.
4 Tips to Increase Security After a Fire
Fire damage can affect your commercial building in various ways. Most notably it ruins personal belongings and the structure of the building. However, it can also make your building more exposed. The holes in the walls and ceiling can expose your property to weather elements and trespassers. How can you increase the security of your building in Newtown, PA after a fire?
1. Board Openings: Doors, windows and holes in your walls should be boarded up. Covering up these openings can help encourage those who don't belong to stay out. It may also help you find out when someone is entering your property without permission because you may notice a misplaced board. Covering these holes not only prevents looting, but it can also help keep wind and rain out of the building.
2. Tarp the Roof: If there are holes in your roof, you need to cover them as soon as possible. Using a tarp can help you keep rain, leaves and other debris from falling into your commercial space.
3. Put Up a Fence: Because the fire damage can make your building dangerous for occupants, you may need to do more than board up openings to keep people out. A security fence can encourage people to stay away from an unsafe structure. You can put warning signs on the fence to let people know about the safety hazard. The fence can also work as an extra precaution against looters.
4. Hire Professionals: When you have a fire cleanup team working on your property during the day, you are discouraging unwanted visitors from entering the space. These restoration professionals may not be enough to add security. You could also consider hiring a temporary security guard to make sure no one enters the property without permission.
When flames envelop your commercial building, the fire damage may result in a less secure building. While you're waiting for the repairs to be made, you should beef up security around your commercial space. Visit http://www.SERVPROnewtownyardleypa.com for more information on commercial fire damage.
Are Environmental Hygienists Really Necessary?
When you can see (and smell) mold growing up the walls and on the surfaces of your Newtown, PA home, do you really need a certified environmental hygienist to tell you that you have a problem and you need a proper mold cleaning? In short, the answer is yes. While you can find the mold that’s visible with the naked eye, an environmental hygienist can do so much more. The resources available to most homeowners only allow you to scratch the surface of mold identification and remediation.
So What Can an Environmental Hygienist Do That I Can’t Do?
Environmental hygienists are trained and certified in mold identification, mold cleaning, mold remediation, and more. Understanding mold infestations in the home is a complex science. Environmental hygienists can:
• Use complex instrumentation to detect mold in hidden places
• Identify the types of mold and the dangers they may pose to your home
• Ensure proper use of protective safety equipment when dealing with mold on surfaces and throughout your home
• Counsel on appropriate mold remediation methods
• Effectively address the source of the mold to prevent future outbreaks, including identifying leaks or humidity issues
What an environmental hygienist’s certification promises is safety. Environmental hygienists are certified to ensure they handle any mold contamination or infestation as safely as possible without further spreading the outbreak or causing additional issues that might damage your home.
Can’t I Just Use a Home Test?
Home tests aren’t as reliable as you think, and can often either lead you down the wrong path or cause greater frustration. You’re constantly surrounded by mold spores in your natural environment, so a mold test will always return false positives without pointing you to the source of a real infestation. An environmental hygienist’s equipment and knowledge can provide laser-sharp accuracy in pinpointing the actual source of a mold outbreak, and recommending mold cleaning and remediation solutions.
Visit http://www.SERVPROnewtownyardleypa.com for more information on mold.
Protecting Your Pets From Residential Fires
While the idea of a fire erupting in your Newtown, PA home is never easy to consider, the potential of your beloved pets getting hurt during any fire emergency is that much worse. Therefore, it’s important to not only create a pet preparation plan in the event of a house fire but to take precautions with pet safety before a situation ever occurs. Here are some important ways to protect your pets before and after a dangerous situation occurs.
? Prevent a mishap by always extinguishing open flames and keeping them at high levels out of your animal’s reach. Any moving flames seen from candles, BBQs, fireplaces and more can easily draw your pet’s attention. Therefore, it’s vital that you always put out any flames before leaving a room and keep them away from reach, either placed up high or properly covered and untouchable.
? Address any problem areas by doing a regular inspection around the home. Check for any loose wiring, reachable appliances or unstable devices that can be knocked over, as they can all turn into possible fire hazards.
? If a fire emergency does break out, be sure your pets have their identification in a safe place. Keep any ownership and vaccination records in a fireproof box, and leave your pet’s tagged collars on them at all times to ensure firefighters or other rescuers can identify who your pets belong to and where to secure them.
? Plan an escape route with your pet. Practicing fire drills and showing your pets where their escape routes are can give them a helpful headstart should a fire erupt. Leave leashes and carriers easy to reach and keep your animals near an entrance while you’re away so they can be quickly located by professionals.
Protecting your pets by taking preventative measures in your Newtown, PA home is crucial for pet safety and your peace of mind. After all, if a fire emergency occurs, knowing you’re prepared ahead of time is crucial to staying calm and getting everyone out in a timely manner. Visit http://www.SERVPROnewtownyardleypa.com for more information on fire damage.